Pai gow is a Chinese domino game that has been played for centuries. It is played in casinos around the world, especially in Macau, but also in Australia, Las Vegas, and Atlantic City, among other places. While pai gow is the most challenging of casino games, it also makes a great social game.
However, this is not Pai Gow Poker, which is derived from the original game of “pai gow tiles.”
Pai gow has complicated rules, and is not an easy game to play. If you haven’t played it before, learning pai gow in a casino will be too expensive. This pai gow game for iOS is designed to teach you the rules as you play, just as you’d learn it in real life.
We have designed a “learner strategy” that you can use to play the game. While this is much simpler than any strategy you’d probably want to use in a casino, in order to use it, you’ll have to learn to value your tiles and choose your play. Of course, it keeps track of the score in the game, but it also tells you whether or not you made the right play.
The free version (Paigow Lite) features both social and casino games. You alternate play as the banker with play against the banker. Help on the rules and context-sensitive hints on play are always available. The app includes a full description of the rules of pai gow, written by a native English speaker.
If you already know how to play pai gow, or if you want to learn to play well, may we recommend our full Pai Gow app – Paigow School. That app has three additional strategies from beginner to advanced, and an adaptive tutor that will allow you to hone your skills. It teaches four strategies from learner to advanced. You start with the learner strategy to learn the rules as you play the game, and you can then advance as far as you like through the beginner, intermediate, and advanced strategies.
We have both social and casino games. You can play as the banker or play against the banker. The heart of the games is the tutor, available in Paigow School, for those who seriously want to learn to play the game well. You can practice deals governed by a specific rule, or random deals, or you can have the tutor choose deals that you seem to be having trouble with. In all cases, Paigow School keeps statistics that you can use to hone your play.
Both the full app and the lite version feature original music composed by Richard Johnson especially for these apps.
My thirteen year old brother, Ayushman Das, helped with the graphics for this game.
Here are the links to the apps on the Apple App Store:
Paigow Lite: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paigow-school/id403057369?mt=8
Paigow School: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paigow-lite/id403060261?mt=8#
Pai Gow Lite offers these features:
- A complete, detailed explanation of the rules, written by a native English speaker.
- A “Learner Strategy” especially devised for learning the game by playing it.
- Casino Play and Social Play modules, with hints available to make learning the game easier.
- Two high-quality tile sets, in Classic Black and Antique Ivory.
- Original music specially composed for Pai Gow Lite.
- Screenshots available here.
The full version of this app, Pai Gow School, offers these additional features:
- Basic, Intermediate and Advanced strategies intended for practical casino play, in addition to the Learner Strategy.
- A four-player casino game.
- An adaptive tutor with individualized instruction in all the strategies.
- Statistics on your performance in each strategy, kept from session to session.
- A dictionary where you can look up how a particular deal should be split according to various strategies.
- Screenshots available here.